Tuesday 16 October 2012

On Bread



So I’m finally sewing. But not blogging about it – can I not do both together?  It would appear so far not!

However, tonight I had decided to try.  And I had a post have worked out in my head, but while procrastinating I looked at Kbenco’s blog and there it was already.  Pre-empted. ( But no-one reads this blog anyway, so here goes)

Soft focus trouser wearing shot in new bathroom
I was musing today on how there is much online discussion on “cake” sewing and “icing” ( I believe some may call it “frosting”) sewing, but in fact I seem to be stuck on bread sewing.  Really basic pieces that I can wear day after day to work, like well fitted work trousers.  Not ruthlessly memorable, because I may well want to wear them two days in a row. Made for my body which has hips and a short waist, and made well and hopefully flattering.

I dream of cake, I do, I yearn for icing.  But I want to wake up in the morning and put on something that is half decent and carries through my day helping me to feel good about being me. So bread is what I have been trying to sew.


Really boring very plain but versatile waistband


Gentle non-readers, these trousers gave me fits.  I just couldn’t get them over the line.  For a year  they fought me and I fought them.  There was very little actual unpicking as such, just a constant feeling of confusion and lack of interest.  I thought the fabric was too light once I’d cut them out (and it is, a bit, though ok for summer).  I thought I would feel like a blimp in them.  My head wanted to finish them - "nice fabric, goes with everything, very practical" but at heart I just wasn’t very interested, because they’re not very sexy.  So I would sew one seam and drift away to do something more interesting.

Rather nice, neat fly
Finally I gritted my teeth and  finished them at 1.30 on Sunday night.  And I’m still paying for that one – hence the soft focus shot.  Normally I would have worn them yesterday, being the first available day after finishing them.  But I just didn’t like them on me enough.
 
Actually rather groovy pocket/fly finish, if I say so myself.
Then I bit the bullet and  wore them today and they made me feel great. Comfy, cool, swishy -  I was really happy in the outfit I'd put with them.  I even got an unsolicitation from my most stylish work friend. Ciabatta! Baguettes!! Bread can be sexy!

And I have finally worked through a process to give me a fly finish I like inside as well as out, using the pocket yoke as a kind of curtain.  I may document that one later.

In fact I am a breadmaker in my cooking life as well, it's what I bring to work morning teas and family functions.  So I suppose that’s how it is. Bread for me.

But maybe cake tomorrow.


1 comment:

  1. Bread sewing is what stops one from going out of the house in rags - otherwise you would have to go to the shops and buy something in the wrong fabric that doesn't fit. Bread trousers are a perfect example. Excellent trousers, clearly a top bakery here!
    I am sewing rich, rich icing with extra sprinkles at the moment, just to remind me that bread is probably better in all ways ;)

    ReplyDelete