Tuesday 13 November 2012

Zipless Sewing

Something quick(ish) and dirty (well it will be soon) for a change....



New Umbrella Canopy!

The sun ate our old one, and I just couldn't bring myself to throw out a perfectly good frame and start again.  It seemed so wrong.  But where to find a new cover for a decade old umbrella?  Why stitch it, of course!

There is a lot of stitchin' in one of these suckers, I must say.  Eight flat felled panels and a little round hemmed hat on top.

It helped immensely that the colour was so cheerful.  I chose azure precisely for this reason - navy would have had me reaching for the gin and razor blades.  And the thought of having it next to the pink rhodedendrons was an extra incentive to complete all those metres of seaming.

Though I probably didn't do as much as I could have, as I suspect that the seams could be a little stronger.  But then I suspect that the fabric could be a little stronger too, so it will be a race to the bottom, between my dodgy construction, and the durability of (home dec, admittedly) cotton twill, as I have no idea where I can get hold of sunresistent fabric.  And then maybe if I do a hot pink one.... maybe that would get me through the next time.

All set for our barbeque on Saturday.  Though there are a lot of scraps......hmmmmm.......bunting?

No comments:

Post a Comment