Thursday 25 January 2018

You may as well JUMP (go ahead and jump)

I didn't sew as much in 2017 as in previous years.  There was still a bit of sewing. But most of the garments I can mentally tally for the year were blogged - and there aren't a lot  of posts.  So - not a lot.

It's not particularly surprising.  For the second half of the year I was preparing a house for sale, and then up to my neck in the campaign to sell it. And then I was moving out. So I really didn't need the mess and stuff that sewing generates.

Anyway, the house is sold.  The sewing room is history, which may never return. And I'm in a new household.  Since just before Christmas I have been reliving my 20's by group-housing with an old school friend (Hi Mel!). Two middle aged ladies, three dogs.  It's a whole new way of life. But Mel is an old sewing co-conspiritor, and the place is very sewing friendly.

So I have already made 2 new garments, I'm finishing off a UFO, and I have plenty of plans.....

Let's start with the last project of 2017. Yes, on the last day of the year I managed to finish, and wear, a project I had planned for some time. I give you the black jumpsuit.


Burda has been showing jumpsuits for years. I rarely check out 'go fug yourself' anymore, (because they are now fashion insiders and consequently much less rude and funny) but I noticed by the end that even they no longer mocked celebs solely because they were wearing one.  It had to be a really fugly one.  So jumpsuits are now mainstream (and presumably heading for the overpass to Dullsville).

I quite like the aesthetic, and always did.  As a child of the seventies, I grew up on the Charlie ads.  And in the eighties I made at least one. So I am quite aware of the 'jump in and go but feel put together' feeling that they give.  But I am also familiar with the rest of the package.  The complete unravelling required to wee.  The occasional crotch grab if the proportions are out. Or your narrowest waist measure has moved up a little. These are an increasingly strong disincentive as I get older (and fatter).
But I have been mulling over the question and I'm pleased to say that I have come up with the answer to all of these problems:
The wrap jump.






This jumpsuit consists of a top with the front of a pair of wrap trousers attached.  You put on the top. Pull the back of the trousers through your legs (there is a technique but I'm not about to demonstrate in photos, sorry - try googling it).














Wrap to the front, and tie (pardon the grim expression - concentrating).

I've taken this on two outings and I'm pleased to report that it is comfortable, adjustable, and easy to go to the toilet in (once you've mastered that technique you just researched).

There's another, spiffy advantage which I only discovered by accident the second time I wore them, out to drinks after work. They make an excellent outfit for times when you need to change clothes for outings - I am here to say that the transformation from day to night can be achieved in a toilet cubicle.  (or possibly even a telephone booth in the unlikely event that you are both able to find one and also a bit of an exhibitionist).

There are just a couple of slight problems with the suit.


Two of them are illustrated in this photo.



I put the collar on slightly wonky.  I have a terrible habit of trying to do these things in one pass and it always bites me.  So the right armhole gapes just a little.  The wrap trousers do have a slight tendency to split to the thigh if I, say, walk more than 10 steps. I should have cut the fronts wider.








..Attempts to demonstrate the issue in small space in front of camera..





And the back view has a sliver of skin between trouser and top, due no doubt to my cutting it  just a little short.

All in all it's a surprisingly louche garment.  But I love it.  Of course, I'm already mentally planning the next one, that fixes the problems.  And adds pockets. Of course.....

The franken-pattern was made using a much modified trouser pattern from Burda, and a much modified built by Wendy raglan top/dress, sans sleeves and bottom half.


Just as planned





No comments:

Post a Comment