Monday 12 February 2018

Chequered

Sitting at a bustop waiting for the bus. What better time to think about sewing - amirite? Well, no, but at at least it will take my mind away from the vexed question of bus shelter design. And men in general.

This dress has been made for weeks but not recorded or blogged about. The making was a real breach birth (my apologies if you have actually had a real breach birth. But it was difficult and annoying and sewing-painful.)


I knew it was a good thing and would be useful but I didn't want to sew it. I was sewing it as my housemate was making a glamourous cotton sateen peacock feather  print halter neck dress for cocktails. I felt like Maryanne with Ginger. Peacock feathers! Sateen! Cocktails! It all made large check lightweight gingham seem rather cinderella.



And then, because I was making it up as I went along, there was aall sorts of ffaffing and dithering.
Back tracking.
Remodelling.

I cut it too long. I think. Then I trimmed it too short. Then I had to piece scraps to add back one square.
One line of checks.
2.5 cm.






aaaaalmost


I almost managed to check match. But the fabric was shifty. Which, visually, bugged me more, I suspect than if I hadn't tried at all.


The details: the pattern was based on a much used burda tee shaped top. lengthened, front placket, pockets. shaped straight grain stand collar.

Anyway, I've worn it once a week since then. Which only goes to show. It's verging on mumsy but I flatter myself not quite there. And cool on 33° days.


Gotta keep the shoes fierce however.

No comments:

Post a Comment