Monday 29 July 2013

Yesterday, when I was mad

Actually this particular attack of lunacy was good for much longer than a day.  More like ten.


I have always held that people who chop up perfectly good fabric only to sew it back together in patterns are completely deranged.  Sorry, quilters, but it's a waste.  Of everything - time, money, sewing machine wear and tear, nervous energy.  It just ends up back as rectangles. What's the point? 


I quite get the idea of using little scraps to make a new fabric, though.  As a person who can't throw out a fabric piece larger than 4cm square, that makes sense to me.  Otherwise they build up in cupboards and one day overwhelm you.  Much better turning them into quilts.


Of course I admit that I'm a little hypocritical here, because what is garment sewing but cutting up perfectly good yardage into funny shapes?  But on the other hand there's a limit to the number of togas one can use.  Sleeves are a good thing.Trousers ditto.  So for clothes the fabric must be cut.  Then at least you can use the scraps for patches.


But none the less, consumed by madness, I have been dabbling in patchwork.

Why?


Because I needed pixelated fabric!






















And why did I need pixelated fabric? You may well ask and while you're at it do savour the irony. 

Well, I needed pixelated fabric because someone, who was having a birthday, wanted a creeper cushion.

(Anyone reading this who lacks contact with those between the ages of oh eight and thirteen, and wishes to be educated in the ways of the yoof, should google "minecraft" at this point.  Parents, of these ages, will merely sigh and shake their heads.)

creeper head with stuffing
Now some people would just make a flat green cushion and leave it at that.  Some people would not be seduced by the idea of playing with foam to make a free standing creeper.  Some people would not - no - most people would not buy fabric just so they could cut it up to make pixelated patchwork.  But that's not me, I've learnt.

I've  also learnt a great deal about patchwork (and creeper anatomy) during this project.  And that I really don't like chopping new fabric into tiny little bits and stitching it back together, nor am I very good at it.  I've learnt that you shouldn't press patchwork seams open but rather to one side so they are stronger.  I expect this creature to explode like a "real" one pretty soon.

And I would really like to learn how to join the various parts so it doesn't have to stay propped in a corner.


stuffing proved to be an overbalancing problem

Creeper face now unstuffed.
And for my final trick - a naked creeper!























 But I must admit I am rather pleased with it.





Then, when I was nooormal... oh wait, that bit hasn't happened yet.  May never.

1 comment:

  1. yoof?
    THERE ARE EIGHT-YEAR-OLD PARENTS??!!
    This has a looot of mistakes.
    PLEASE let me edit it.

    ReplyDelete