Wednesday 17 July 2013

YOU TOO CAN BE IN FASHION



Maybe not me though.
n
I was thrilled when Jess Cartner-Morley of the Guardian (I always read Jess Cartner-Morley, she can almost infect me with her enthusiam about fashion) announced the end of the skinny jean and the rise of the “slim boyfriend”. I hate constricting legged garments. I look rubbish in them too. And this style seemed close to the fit I like – which can be best summed up as Burda 2010-4-??? 5 pocket jeans,  but a bit longer and rolled up. Bring it on, I say, it's about time my denim choices were fashionable the world woke up to my impeccable style in denim.



12.8 oz denim laid out for the sacrifice
I needed jeans. I had some prepped black denim in stash. I have read that 12oz is the perfect denim weight for jeans. A complicated but quite effective procrastination procedure involving a kitchen scales and some imperial to metric area conversion led me to the conclusion that the denim was 12.8 oz. I decided that 12 oz is like “4be2”, a useful approximate term. Never actually 4 by 2 inches. Anyway the error factor was probably greater than 12 by the time I'd done the calculations.  So I was satisfied and could begin.

And I got them finished in time to take away with us to the coast and Sydney where I wore them constantly, having overcome the hurdle of forgetting to re stitch the 5mm tacking stitch at the back centre seam (yeah, that's right, the one that gets the most stress!) by backstitchng by hand in my beduroom at the coast. And though I had used a popper that popped (or failed to pop, whichever is bad), that too was overcome by a quickish trip to Birkenhead Pt Spotlight for a jeans button and the hand installation of a buttonhole. They are quite comfy. Maybe a bit tooo comfy. I may take in the inside leg a trifle for a more streamlined effect. 


So, is this the “sexy boyfriend” look?
















The "dumpy little boy" look? 

















Or just “a pair of black jeans?”

No comments:

Post a Comment